More than ever, Filipinos have grown their interest in traveling to Japan due to low fares offered by budget airlines.
However, Filipinos cannot go to Japan without a valid tourist visa.
Here are the steps and tips on how to apply for a Japan Tourist Visa for Filipinos:
PREPARE- You need to prepare the following documents before the actual lodgement of Japan tourist visa application:
- NSO Birth Certificate- This should be issued within the current year of application (e.g. If you’re applying in 2016, then your NSO should have been requested within the same year). Please note that if you’re birth certificate was registered late, you need the following supporting documents: Original Baptismal Certificate or Original Form 137 from your high school records. If your name is blurred and unreadable, you need to secure a CERTIFIED TRUE COPY of your birth certificate from your local civil registry (where your certificate was issued).
- 2 x 2 Photograph- Have your photo taken with a white background. Only 1 copy is needed.
- BANK CERTIFICATE- Proceed to your bank and request for a certificate. You can get it within the day. They will charge you around PHP 100.00 for it. Most people ask, “How much money should I have in my certificate?” Safe to say, “At least 100,000PHP.” But the embassy does not really reveal their qualifications. But rule of thumb, your bank account should have sufficient funds to support the duration of your trip. The 100k is enough for a week’s trip in Japan.
- INCOME TAX RETURN- If you’re a businessman/ entrepreneur, you need a photocopy of your ITR. If you’re retired, then you need a letter stating that you have not filed any ITR because you are retired. If you’re employed, get form 2316.
- EMPLOYMENT CERTIFICATE– if you’re employed, you need to request an employment certificate from your HR.
- DTI or SEC– For business people, you need to bring a copy of your business documents.
- JAPAN VISA APPLICATION form– You need to fill this up via online pdf and print it.
- SCHEDULE OF STAY– this is the itinerary of your trip. A travel agency can prepare this for you.
WHAT IF another person will be sponsoring your trip to Japan? (this applies to students who are sponsored by their parents)
- You need another form called GUARANTEE LETTER
- Bank Certificate, ITR, VALID ID with signature/ Certificate of Employment of the GUARANTOR/Sponsor of your trip.
- Once your documents are completed, then you may proceed to a travel agency to submit the documents for you at the Japan Embassy. Explore Eight Travel can assist you in your Japan visa application.
PLANE TICKETS- It is discouraged to book ahead before your visa application but if you do, remember that you’re taking a risk. If the plane fare is too good to forego, then book it but remember the rules of airlines: promo tickets are nonrefundable. So just in case you get rejected from your visa application, you cannot refund your tickets anymore.
SINGLE or MULTIPLE VISA?
It’s the discretion of the Japan Embassy whether to give you a 5-year multiple entry or just a single entry. First time applicants usually get a single-entry visa. But if it’s your second time, more often than not, the embassy gives multiple entry.
But there are lucky applicants who immediately get a multiple entry visa at first try. Though the embassy doesn’t reveal its qualifications for doing so, we have observed that most of the applicants who get multiple entry visa are the ones who have enough financial capacity/ or senior citizens (who are more likely to travel multiple times to Japan).
Good luck on your application!